Saturday, September 20, 2008

Would you like some corn oil with that?

Today I woke up to Gabe's urgent plea for Saturday Morning Pancakes. I told him I would happily make him pancakes after I fed Anna, pumped with the robot, washed my face, brushed my teeth and put in my contacts. 
"I want pancakes! I am so sick, Mom!" 
"I understand, Gabe. You have to wait."
Finally, about half an hour later, or an entire eon if you ask him, we got the pancakes underway.
Mix, check. Milk, check. Eggs, check. Oil... umm not so much. We were out. 
I called Manny to see where he was in his travels back home from midtown Manhattan. He was doing a post tape for CBS. We didn't have time to wait. I was about to pack up the kiddies and head around the corner to the deli (gotta love NYC and those corner come-and-get-its at any hour of the day or night) when it dawned on me to just ask our landlord's parents, who live on the second floor. 
I ring the bell. The Egyptian grandfather answers. I smile, ask him if he has any oil, we just need 2 tablespoons for our pancakes... And this is what he hands me: 3 quarts of Corn Oil.

"Keep it," he tells me, in his kind manner. 
"No, no, we'll be right back up with it," I say.
"If you bring it back, I will be upset. Here, see, I just bought this."
He pulls out a 12-quart bottle of Corn Oil. "I just bought some more the other day."
As we leave, he tries to kiss Gabe on the top of his head. Gabe tries to hide behind my left leg, and as he picks Gabe up to kiss his head (a cultural thing) Gabe is still holding on to my leg, so there I am, leg up in the air, toddler hanging off of it, holding a 3-quart jug of corn oil. 

But no worries, just a few laughs... And the most delicious fresh-blueberry pancakes we've made in a long time, if not ever. They were awesome.

Happy Saturday morning!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

At least he got his pancakes and now you have alot of oil.

Mom said...

You are such a GOOD mom! And memmie's boy SHOULD get what he wants when he wants it>>>>:) Kiss those 2 angels for me.