Monday, March 22, 2010

Not this Girl! Oh YES....


I know it's hard to believe looking at her, this tiny delicate flower... But this morning, this little flower hauled off and bit both her Mommy, and then her feeding therapist, when the two of us tried to get her eye patch back on after she tore it off. I don't know if you remember this post about the little diversion I created? Well, that didn't last long, because Anna has now figured out how to tear that off, too. 

It's become quite a problem, because her ophthalmologist has ordered she wear this everyday for 2 hours. Manny nor I have the 2 hours to sit and restrain her, which is what I had to do today, to make sure she gets in her hours. If she doesn't get them in, we face eye surgery.

So I called the doctor. And he recommended arm restraints. Ouch!! Even the words sound so harsh! But I Googled it... Pediatric arm restraints ... And these popped up:


The pediatric elbow immobilizer!!

She can still play and do her thing, but it prevents her from getting anywhere near that eye patch.

Now these, I thought, I can definitely live with. I doubt Anna will find much fun from them, but it's all a part of my plan... Even if she hates them, I can use them as collateral. "Anna, if you tear off your patch, you're getting these." Or, "Anna, if you leave your patch alone, then you don't have to wear them." I just ordered them today, and can't wait to see how they work.

For the time being, here we are... And if you look closely... I'm acting as her own little arm restraint, passing the time until the 2 hours is up. Maybe I'll post my mouth-shaped bruise tomorrow.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they work for the nebulizer treatments also, she hates that mask... Big attitude on that little girl. But she is still the cutest!!

angcopp said...

those don't look so bad at all! The pink is kinda cute and it's definitely better than surgery...

stefanie g. said...

ang, i gotta agree with you. i'm at my wits end with this girl! :) if a little arm restraint keeps us out of surgery, i'm all for it!

Mom said...

That girl was blessed with a strong spirit and a strong will that books are written about....hmmmm...I've seen this somewhere before.....
:)

Unknown said...

We tried those arm braces and while they worked for a short while they fell apart too quickly. I highly recommend these - we bought four of them for our daughter Courtney.

http://armbraces.com/