Monday, April 28, 2008

Back Labor and the 3 a.m. Wake-Ups

Baby Girl Gutierrez is doing great. Her parents are still battling over 'Ana' or 'Anna' and the middle names of 'Maria' or 'Elizabeth'. Manny has one grandmother named Maria, I have two grandmothers named Elizabeth. So I win, right? If only.... I justify 'Betty' as being a derivative of 'Elizabeth', but in her case, it isn't. She's a Betty. So there we are, back to 1-1. And no resolution. 

Manny shot himself in the foot the other day when he said "Ana Maria is just such a great name... Except that it kinda rhymes with Gon-o-rrhea..." 

I am rooting for Ana Elizabeth. I am sure in 3 1/2 months we will have come up with a verdict. Or just a nameless child. 

As for how I am handling pregnancy, I haven't gained any weight. But much of that is probably attributed to the perpetual sickness of the first 4 months and only now am I regaining my appetite. I have that of a Christopher, so I must be careful. One plus: It's Springtime here (if you haven't noticed, I mention it every time I get a chance) and I have been a walking fool, trucking all over the neighborhood. 

I have to say though, most of the time my back muscles are barking. If it isn't my upper back, it's my lower. If it isn't either, it's the middle. I am getting used to my center of gravity changing, which led to the unfortunate incident of me swaying forward while bending down to get something and ending up layed out on the floor, after a few roll overs. Manny was home to assist and help me back up, through roars of laughter though, I might add. 

And as for these 3 a.m. wake-ups, let me just tell you, it's getting old. But I think it just might be on the verge of getting worse. Too put it plainly, I am a 3 a.m.-peer. Sometimes, a 1, 3, 5 and 7 bathroom-goer. Ana gets in the position, and the bladder is her pillow. Not fun. 

Last night I was getting up and as I flexed what abdominal muscles I have left, she kicked at the same time, as if to say "I was comfortable! Whatdyagoandmove for?" It literally catapulted me back onto the mattress, leaving me shocked. So I tried it again. She kicked again! Hmmm, smart cookie. 

I have joyful, blessed memories of how wonderful a baby Gabe was... Content, happy, my little buddy. I have a feeling I am incubating a GIRL in every sense of the word and all I can hear is my mother saying: "Payback." 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a wonderful gift, an engaging and easy going style of writing that leaves me wanting more . . . there is a book in you Mrs.Gutierrez