Friday, June 20, 2008

Advertisements on my... Band-Aids?

Advertisements have been popping up everywhere lately. Places I'd never think I'd see. On the back of my buggy (err, grocery cart), on the buggy's seat where Gabe (sometimes) sits, tops of cabs, sides of buses, in my mailbox... On my bananas! And I don't mean the Chiquita stickers, I mean un-banana-related advertisements like what's on prime time television! Smart marketing or udder annoyance? 

I went in to the doc's for a routine blood test on Friday and after having it drawn, it's pretty customary to get a Band-Aid, right? As the nurse stuck a cotton ball over my vein, she grabs a Band-Aid, but not just any Band-Aid. A Band-Aid with an advertisement for.... Are you ready for this? GARDASIL! An STD-vaccine! 

"Jeanette, are you really going to send me home with a Gardasil Band-Aid?" I ask, laughing hysterically at the thought of me jumping on the subway on the way home, big ol' prego belly and all, and a Gardasil Band-Aid. 

I am thinking to myself, "Yes people of New York City! Even at 7 1/2 months pregnant, I got vaccinated against an STD with Gardasil!" No. Way. In. Hell.

I like Jeanette. We get each other. She laughs, and tells me that they are free. So she uses them. 

I say, "No, seriously, give me another Band-Aid. I have to take the N back to Astoria and this is totally embarrassing."

"They're all I have," she tells me. 

Band-Aid with Gardasil advertisement on my arm, Check. Cardigan over my bare arm in the dead summer heat so no one sees my Band-Aid with the Gardasil advertisement, Check. Funny moment of the day, Check. Picture to prove it, Check Check. 

No comments: