
We ventured to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, on Sunday afternoon to check out this hotspot neighborhood and see what everyone was raving about. Yes, the people are trendy. Yes, the shops are oh-so-cute. Yes, the food is oh-so-yummy and allllllll organic. Don't bother opening a restaurant unless the words "organic" "all natural" or "fair trade" appear on your menu. At Ella's Cafe, where we brunched yesterday, the soup of the day was tomato and meatball soup. Under the description of the soup, it read: "Grass-fed Meatballs." Thank goodness, I thought! But then I wondered, did they mean green grass or hay?
As I looked around, I was happy to have worn my hippy dress. They didn't have to know it was from Target. Gabe was dressed in his Led Zeppelin t-shirt, so he fit in to a tee. Manny was wearing his brown linen shirt and plaid shorts. Check, check, check... We didn't look like the inplants that we really were.
As we walked around under the blazing hot July sun, I couldn't help but notice that everyone was dressed like they shopped at thrift stores but I know they didn't pay thrift store prices. In one "vintage" shop, the going rate for a wrinkled dress from Grandma's closet was $250.
In another store, everyone looked depressed and underfed. It's like "the going look" in Williamsburg, Brooklyn these days. Forget cushioned budunkadunks, the trend is to have no a$$. Forget meat, only if it is grass-fed. And for guys, the shorter your shorts, the cooler you must be. Gals, go ahead and go bra-less. Forget your deodorant too!
I did have one Z-list celebrity sighting though. There he was on N. 7th St. and Bedford Ave.: Christian, last season's winner from Bravo's Project Runway! It was oh-so-fierce. The funniest part about our celebrity sighting was that I knew who he was but forgot his name. Manny came right in for the rescue. "Christian!" How could I have forgotten? Wait... How does Manny know this....? Ah, those nights where I ruled over the remote. Poor guy, but at least he learned something.
Other than these minor observations, our trip to Williamsburg was fun and we got some good walking underway. However, my heart, if it could only afford it, still belongs to Park Slope, Brooklyn.

No comments:
Post a Comment