Monday, September 8, 2008

1st Day of School! Gooo Gabe!

I am definitely considering this day a success! It is 8:34 p.m. and both Gabe and Anna are tucked soundly into their beds, I am meeting my goal of blogging about Gabe's first day of nursery school for all of you on the edge of your seats wanting to know how he did, and we remembered that tomorrow was garbage pick up day and actually got it outside into the cans. (I hate to say it but we are the ones in the building who put our garbage out the day after the garbage has been picked up and it sits there until the next pick up day. No fun and kind of stinky.)

So moving on past our minor shortcomings... 

Gabe did great! 
Our Day In Review

Everyone was up early and ready to conquer the day... 
Can't you tell by Gabe's face? 
I am such a very lucky Mommy considering I had two extra sets of hands for the big first day, Daddy's and my own mommy! The real test will be next week, when I am left to do it on my own. This, however, was a great start.

No worries about the bouffant on the top of Gabe's head of hair. We gelled it down to gentlemanly standards before we left. 

Ready to walk out to the car. We will walk to school every morning while the weather is nice, but for the first day we didn't want to risk not allotting enough time to get there (imagine us, the Gutierrez's, late for anything! Yahhh right....) 

Showing off the awesomeness of the Thomas backpack. 

I held up very well. It was fun getting him all ready, and I couldn't get over how freakin' cute he looked with his little backpack and lunch box.

We were so happy that Daddy was home to take him with Mommy for his first day. Tomorrow, Memee and Mommy and Anna will take Gabe in the morning, and Daddy wants to pick him up after work. He gets done at The View at 2, and Gabe is done at 3. We walked this afternoon to pick up Gabe, and it only took us about 20 minutes. It was a nice brisk walk, and Gabe did great on the way home. (It might have helped that we stopped to get some yummy pizza at Sac's on the way home!)

Here he is about to walk in. He was so excited, he didn't get to bed until midnight and then woke up at 6:15 in the morning. When asked why he couldn't sleep, he said, "I wanna go to school Mom!" Oops, how could be I so silly? 

Here is the welcoming message from the school's leaders. As you can tell, he was totallllllly interested. 

He was, however, interested in the spot on the hallway where his artwork and school projects will be displayed. He was especially excited to see his name.

So this is by far the best picture of the day, and speaks VOLUMES of the chaotic scene of everyone's first day. What I wish this picture captured were the screaming kids in the background. Here was Gabe, with the "independent" kids in the class, playing with the sand in the exploratory area of the classroom. Do you see the arms and hands of parents behind their kids? All of these mommies and daddies were doing worse than the kids. "Mommy is leaving now (insert name of child here)..." Waiting for the child to acknowledge their presence, they would repeat themselves. Wait, repeat. Wait, repeat. Wait, repeat. Finally, "Okay, bye Mom! See ya later!" 

And that's about how it went with Gabe and us. We walked out of the school, waved to him from the window, and my heart was a little sad. But no tears. 

When we picked him up, he was excited to see us and tell us all about his day. And he can't wait to go back tomorrow.

That's my Gabe. 

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I am so glad he had a great first day!!!!
Tell your mom hi and the picture of you and Anna is adorable.
Love You.

Anonymous said...

HE is such a big boy now!!!! My baby started her first day of HS last week talk about emotional. After she left I sat on the couch and said to myself, I remember taking her to her first preschool class. TIME FLIES!!!! Enjoy it while you can because it goes really, really fast.

Love,
Karen

Unknown said...

He was the handsomest kid in the class, I am sure. Enjoy this time it goes so fast. Next thing you know you will be trying to figure out how to go see your grandchildren every month!!!

Love you.