While most people's summers are ending, ours has just begun!
Oh happy boy!
The previous 2 summers, we found ourselves to be quite the beach bums, heading for the nearest shores surrounding New York on our more quiet days and retreating out of the city for a few hours. This summer, we could never go, because Anna would be too hot and her apraxia would worsen, she couldn't drink water, she would refuse any food or formula, and 9 times out of 10 she would come down with something or remain dehydrated for a few days. These are not-to-be-taken lightly issues so it is safe to say we've been hibernating in our air-conditioned apartment this entire summer.
Lounging under our beach cabana
We didn't like it in the least, and the fact that we - moreover Anna - were stuck inside at room-controlled temps doing therapy all day everyday instead of being able to just be a kid and do fun stuff and go great places - definitely factored into our recent decision to go for the g-tube.
This one-piece was loose enough and a perfect fit that no one would guess...
So at our post-op appointment with G.I. on Monday, I asked if he thought we could go to the beach the next day. She couldn't go fully into the ocean yet, and we couldn't get sand in it, but yes, we could go. He handed us a few packages of water-proof tape to put over her stoma (the area on the outside of her belly where the tube was placed and is, obviously, still healing) and gave us his best. "See ya in 4 weeks!" were his actual words. Ahhh music to our ears.
I couldn't get over how cute this dad looked, walking his family to the car... (Nice truck, hun!)
I could barely sleep the night before! We could actually go as a family to the beach! No leaving anyone at home! I was up before the alarm went off, packing up everything we would need, and making sure our Anna was fully hydrated and ready to spend her first day at the beach since last summer.
It was wonderful. We stayed for almost 3 hours, which was perfect for Gabe and I to jump in the water and body surf some waves, while Daddy and Anna dipped their feet and played in the sand. Daddy is such a Florida boy because when I asked him if he wanted to switch P.O.D. ("Parent On Duty") positions, he quickly declined, citing "exhaustion" but we all know the real reason... If it isn't 90-degree water, he isn't going in.
:)
We came home, had some more grill time, and put the chillies in bed right on time. It was a great day, and I am thankful for it.
Hey there schweetie pies
2 comments:
I'm sure not from Fl. but I have to agree with Dad on the 90 degree water. Sounds like you all had a great time
What a beach baby she is!! Reminds me of the day we spent at the beach last year with her..At least the cabana didn't fly away-which Anna thought was quite entertaining-Love her relaxed hang out look...
Post a Comment