Saturday, November 27, 2010

Word of the Day: Thankful.

No, the house renovation hasn't moved so slow that I haven't posted it in a week... It has actually moved quite quickly, with the combined efforts of my insane husband and our "contractor" for the week, my brother-in-law Rafi, who without his help hardly any of it could have been accomplished.

We left the house in decent shape, with all of our furniture built and placed in its new room, now it's on to the tedious small stuff... Picture hanging and organizing... When we get back! We flew to Florida for what has become our traditional Thanksgiving get-away with Manny's parents and brother and sister. And, as always, it's been wonderful.

There are of course some small exceptions like Anna's poor sleep habits! I know... these 1 a.m. posts are becoming more frequent... Thank you Anna darlin'. Even now, I see her on the video monitor tossing and turning... Earlier tonight she made a grab for the monitor and managed to unhook it from the crib. I turned over to see a video of her eating the monitor and heavy breathing ensued... Kind of looked like something out of Paranormal Activity!

She has pleasantly surprised me this week... I was certain the change in environment and new faces would put some stress on her but she's loving every minute of it! When the Miami family arrived to Orlando today, everyone came in and there were lots of hugs and hello's, and what I loved was that everyone said "Hi Anna!" and either took her hand or kissed her on the cheek. She was smiling from ear to ear for hours afterward. No anxiety and we even heard a few babbles at the dinner table.

One of the more cheesy moments (or endearing!) of Thanksgiving Day here is the Thanksgiving Game we started playing 2 years ago... The premise is simple... Everyone takes a turn to say what they are thankful for this past year. I didn't get my turn at the table though... I was rudely interrupted by Miss Anna, who woke up in a fit! I believe right before I was about to say "how much progress Anna has made" I heard her screaming into the monitor and I got up and huffed, "I can't stand her sometimes!!" which was met with laughter and understanding, thankfully!

Yes... The constant up-and-at-'em every 2-3 hours gets old and my patience is tossed out the window. Funny how we can turn on a dime, no?

So since I didn't get my go at the Thanksgiving Game on Thursday, I'll have my turn now:

I am thankful for my husband. He loves me through my great days and my hard days, my insecure moments and my headstrong moments. He knows when to wrap his big arms around me and when to give me space. He is amazing with Gabriel; he reads to him every evening he isn't working and prays with him before bed. He is equally awesome with Anna; he has learned every medication, dosage, schedule, routine and therapist. He loves so much and his heart is open. He is a hard worker and a great provider. I am a better person when he is with me.

I am thankful for Gabriel and Anna. I am thankful for the times Gabe wants nothing but to be with her, and hug her and kiss her and talk to her. I am thankful that when his teacher asks him to draw how he can be a helper, he draws Anna in her chair with her button, and him holding her extension tube with formula in it. Under the picture he writes "I can be a helper by helping to feed Anna."

I am thankful for our families. I am thankful they are readily available with any random call or text at any hour of the day. I am thankful they love us so much. I am thankful that our parents are Christians, and raised us both in faith. I am thankful I knew Jesus as a young child, so that I can give that to Gabriel and Anna. I am thankful that anytime I stumble, He picks me back up. I am thankful I know there is a greater picture to this life, that this isn't the end... And that eternity will be Awesome.

I am thankful Jesus is with me.

I am thankful for Anna's doctors and therapists. Sometimes, on a day-to-day basis, my appreciation doesn't always shine through. Most of the time, when the doorbell buzzes for the fifth time that day, I am frazzled and unnerved. Every now and then I think, "Anna deserves play dates, not a therapy schedule," and I am uncomfortable. But I am thankful. Without them, Anna wouldn't be as present as she is now and certainly not have the skills she does now. For their constant hard work and compassion and understanding, I am thankful.

I am thankful for the friends who have stuck by us through all of this. I have to especially thank my one of my best friends, she knows who she is, who has seen me morph from carefree and spontaneous to worrisome and rigorously scheduled. And who understands without question and supports me, even when I feel I've lost my mind.

I am thankful for the family that exists and supports and loves through Rett Syndrome. When I fell to my knees in the bathroom of our geneticists office on February 23, the day of our diagnosis, I knew my life would never be the same. I knew I was in for a long, hard road. Nothing prepared me for it. No words could ever describe that moment and even now, thinking about it, the scab over the wounds on my heart still bleed every now and then. But the moms and dads and fellow siblings and girls with Rett I have met have changed my life and it will never be the same. Grace, like rain, fell down on me. On us. That grace came - and continues to - every time I meet a new Rett mama or Rett family. I never thought there'd be such a bright silver lining to all of this. These families are incredible, and make us better. I am thankful for grace.

And last but not least, I am thankful for my job and the people I meet through it. I am constantly challenged. Every time I am out on assignment, I meet someone who shares with me a tidbit of wisdom that I keep in my heart. I think Someone Upstairs gets a kick out of some of the people He sends my way, and I really do love my work.

That's it for this year's addition of the Thanksgiving Game. What's yours?

3 comments:

Papa said...

And among many things, your Dad is thankful for his beautiful and never-cease-to-amaze me 1st daughter, his hard-working and good-hearted son-in-law who loves and takes care of my oldest, his litte buddy piece-of-my-heart Grandson, and my most precious God-blessed Granddaugher who helps up all put things into perpective.

Mom said...

I am thankful for a God who has Blessed us beyond what we deserve-a bond between families that cannot be broken due to a beautiful little girl who grew up to be all that God created her to be, a precious little boy who grew up to be a Godly man, and the two of them who gave our families two awesome gifts of life that can not be replaced in our hearts. Psalm 139:14 ..you are fearfully and wonderfully made".

fredda said...

Aside from everything, we are all thankful for Stefanie. You are one of the most powerful people I have EVER met. You continue to inspire, teach and love everyone in your path, while always making us laugh. So smart and so considerate. You are truly amazing.