Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Mom Who Must Beat Her Kid. Allthetime.


I am having a difficult day of parenting. 

Heading home from the park, we walked by this middle school with bunches of kids outside with a huge gate/fence around the play ground. Gabe wanted to go in. I said No. He proceeded to throw himself on the ground and Scream while I dragged him by his arms to the car. His Screaming attracted the views of every kid in that playground, and they all had "eyes" for me, the terrible Mom who Must, MUST, beat her kid. 

As I am dragging him, arms flailing, yelling for him to Get Up, the "eyes" turn into unbelievable Stares, I can see what they are thinking. She Must Do This All The Time. That Poor Kid. Gabe defiantly gets in the car and I give him a good Smack on the behind and tell him to Never, Ever, Do that again. When I say it's time to Go, It's time to Go. He yells, NOOOOO. My Way.

 Another Smack on the behind. Two for good measure. I get out of the back seat to get in the driver's seat, smoke billowing from my ears, and the "eyes" and the Stares worsen and I hear them speaking of me, The Mom Who Beats Her Kid. I wave at them, give a good smile, and drive home.

I can't wait for the day they are parents. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Stef, I do read your bogs. I hope one of those kids who watch are as good a parent as you and Manny are for Gabe. Kids do need to be reminded every once in a while that you are in charge, especially one with such a strong personality as Gabe. Yes, he can be a brat at times, but he is also a very good kid, and News Flash, all kids are brats at some point in time, no worries, just keep doing what you are doing and he will be better off for it.
Love you,
Ilsa