Saturday, September 6, 2008

Knock, Knock, Noggin on my bedroom door

So it's been dreadfully hot and humid during the nights the past few days, and every morning between the hours of 3:30 and 5:30 a.m., we hear the double doors to our bedroom creeeeeak open. A few footsteps later there is Gabriel at our bedside. 

"I want to watch Noggin," he begins. (For anyone who is wondering, 'Noggin' is the educational network produced by Nick, Jr. and is its own channel.) 

"Well, it's way too early for you to be up, Gabriel," Daddy tells him. Gabe doesn't get it. Manny tries a different approach. 

"It's still night time, and you can't be up until it is morning. We have to take you back to your bed, Gabriel..."

Unhappy, yet he obliges. 

At 6:59 a.m. (he just couldn't bear to give his mom the satisfaction of a 7 a.m. roll call) he jumps into the bed. "The dark is all gone! The dark is no more, Dadda!!"

So this morning he comes in at 5:30, and sees that Manny has left early to go work the CBS Early Show. "Mommmm.... I wanna go watch Noggin." The scenario repeats itself. This time though, he sets up shop in Manny's spot. Great. Now I've got Gabe on the far right side of the bed, tossing and turning, me in the middle, and Anna on the far left attached to the Boob. No wonder the bags under my eyes get bigger everyday! Thank goodness for Clinique and its miracle foundation! 

So breakfast. I am craving Eggo waffles this morning and Gabe is craving... Pizza. Waffles win. I get him set up, and then get myself together. The verysecondIsitdown, Anna starts the feisty crying: she's hungry. Her theme song as of late has been that one song, "I Know What I Want, And I Want It Now..." I don't know who sings it; it's from the late 80s or early 90s I think. So I bust out a relief bottle and watch as my waffles get cold and soggy in the pool of freshly poured syrup. 

Teri Hatcher wrote a book a few years ago called "Burnt Toast" and how when you become a mother, the family gets the goods and when you finally sit down to eat, all that is left is the burnt toast. My book will inevitably be called "Soggy Waffles (and Sore Boobs)." I envision it on the best sellers lists. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Queen, of course.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOdWxf1tRmI

stefanie g. said...

you are hilarious! thanks for clearing that up!

WineLover said...

LOVE the song by Queen :)
Noggin is about all that is on around here too - I'll definitely buy your book!

Jodi said...

You crack me up!!! I think the early riser thing is a genetic family defect- Ashlee was awful then too. Now she makes at least until 7....